Spring 2018 meeting times
The Friday February 16 meeting will be held at the Carolina Basketball Museum from 3-4pm. Generally, Spring Speaking Group meetings are held every Friday classes are in session, from 3 to 4 PM in the Graduate Student Center at 211A W. Cameron Ave. If you have already registered, you do not need to re-register for the Spring Speaking Group. If you have not registered, you may do so below.
What happens in a speaking group?
Speaking groups welcome American and international participants from the campus and the community. Groups meet for an hour every week to discuss topics of culture, university life, or language learning strategies and resources. An English Language Specialist from the Writing Center attends each meeting to help the group members work together to improve their oral communication skills. Each week:
- The facilitator introduces a topic around American culture, University life, or language learning
- Group members discuss the topic, ask questions, and suggest strategies or resources
- Group members can ask for feedback on their speaking
- The facilitator might teach a new technique, strategy, or game
Please note: The facilitator’s role is not to teach a speaking or pronunciation “class” but to familiarize the group with US language, culture, and resources.
Who can join a speaking group?
- UNC students, including undergraduate, graduate, and exchange students
- Postdoctoral scholars, visiting scholars, and research faculty, if you have any specific needs, please contact us
- Spouses and community members
- Native/fluent English speaking volunteers, we welcome your participation. Please see our volunteer guide
How do I join a speaking group?
- Register online using this form. You will receive a message regarding each week’s meeting.