Fall 2018 meeting times
Speaking Group meets every Friday classes are in session from 3 to 4 PM. Meetings are held at the Graduate Student Center. Early each week an email announces a suggested topic and gives a reminder of the time and location. If you are already receiving the Speaking Group Email, you do not need to re-sign up. If you are not receiving the Speaking Group Email and would like to, you may sign up below.
What happens in Speaking Group?
Speaking Group welcomes American and international participants from the campus and the community. Groups meet for an hour every week to discuss topics of culture, university life, or language learning strategies and resources. An English Language Specialist from the Writing Center attends each meeting to help the group members work together to improve their oral communication skills. Each week:
- The facilitator introduces a topic around American culture, University life, or language learning
- Group members discuss the topic, ask questions, and suggest strategies or resources
- Group members can ask for feedback on their speaking
- The facilitator might teach a new technique, strategy, or game
Please note: The facilitator’s role is not to teach a speaking or pronunciation “class” but to familiarize the group with US language, culture, and resources.
Who can join Speaking Group?
- UNC students, including undergraduate, graduate, and exchange students
- Postdoctoral scholars, visiting scholars, and research faculty, if you have any specific needs, please contact us
- Spouses and community members
- Native/fluent English speaking volunteers, we welcome your participation. Please see our volunteer guide
How do I join Speaking Group?
- Sign up for the Speaking Group Email using this form. You will receive a message regarding each week’s meeting.
- Show up to a meeting!