Speaking Group welcomes American and international participants from the UNC campus and the local community. Groups meet for an hour every week to discuss topics of culture, university life, or language learning strategies and resources. Our goal is to create a comfortable space to converse in English, to share cultural perspectives, and to build global relationships in our local community.
Speaking Group meets online Fridays, 3-4 PM.
Members of the UNC Chapel Hill community can sign up for the speaking group email list. Early each week an email announces a suggested topic. Another email is sent 15 minutes before each meeting (Friday at 2:45 PM) with the Zoom meeting link. During the meeting, we will use breakout rooms to simulate the small group discussions that take place in our face-to-face meetings.
What happens in Speaking Group?
An English Language Specialist from the Writing Center attends each meeting to welcome participants and to facilitate the group meeting.
- The facilitator introduces the suggested topic then moves participants to small breakout rooms (3-5 participants) for 25 minutes
- Group members discuss the topic, ask questions, and suggest strategies or resources
- Participants return to the main room then join new breakout rooms with different partners for the next 25 minutes
- Everyone rejoins the main room to share anything interesting from their group conversation and to say goodbye
Please note: The facilitator will request PIDs from UNC students and scholars, but community members don’t need to worry about this. Community members can join without a PID.
Who can join Speaking Group?
- UNC students, including undergraduate, graduate, and exchange students
- Postdoctoral scholars, visiting scholars, research collaborators, and faculty
- Spouses and community members
- Native/fluent English speaking volunteers, we welcome your participation. Please see our volunteer guide
How do I join Speaking Group?
- Sign up for the Speaking Group Email using this form. You will receive a message regarding each week’s meeting.
- Show up to a meeting!