How I Write and Learn

Staying on Track with MultiTimer

By a Writing Center Coach

I have a confession: I’ll set my phone timer to remind myself to drain some pasta before it gets mushy only to completely forget about the garlic bread burning in the oven. While phones are helpful kitchen companions for finding the newest recipe on Instagram, they just don’t cut it when it comes to a crucial element of cooking: timing. Even when I open multiple tabs to keep time for different components of my meal, I still can’t remember if the roasted potatoes or the chicken thighs need to cook for another ten minutes. (Spoiler alert: the timer was for the broccoli.) I found myself thinking that there must be a better way! Enter MultiTimer.

MultiTimer is an app that lets me set, label, and run an unlimited number of timers simultaneously. Now I can set separate timers for each part of my meal all while managing the amount of time I spend on my dissertation. While these timers could lead to chaos, they also improve productivity and time management, even for those of us who never step foot in a kitchen. By consolidating all my timers in a single app, I can track what needs my attention and when.

Labeling my timers makes all the difference. After dividing my dissertation work into discrete tasks, such as coding and writing, I assign each a specific amount of time:

Display of two clocks. A green clock labeled "Writing" is set at zero. The blue clock below it labeled "Coding" is paused at 24 minutes, 10 seconds.
It’s easy to start and stop each timer by simply tapping on the corresponding icon. When I’m ready to reset (which I usually do at the end of each workday), I double-tap the icon or press and hold for a few seconds. The paid version of the app records start and stop times for each timer in a journal, though I find that the unpaid version suits my needs well.

Screen with the title "Journal." The screen displays the date, and has two columns. 11:36:48 AM is recorded under the column, "Started," and "24m 10s" is recorded under the "Time" column. At the bottom of the screen there is a warning that the free version of MultiTimer does not store timer records.
While these timers let me dedicate a set amount of time to certain tasks, they also remind me to take breaks. After reading a journal article for 30 minutes, I will definitely need a few minutes to clear my head. So I set a countdown timer. Tapping the gear icon in the top-right corner of the app opens a new window where I can create, edit, and manage my timers:

"Writing" and "Coding" clocks are in the center of the screen. There are six icons labeled on the top row of the screen: Timers, Layout, Delete, Cmd, Export, and Web.
I want to create a countdown timer, so I drag this type of timer onto my board and customize the length and label. For my reading timer, I set it for 30 minutes, label it “Reading,” assign it a fun icon, and make it yellow:

A third timer sits above the "Writing" and "Coding" timers. At the top of the screen there are three options displayed: Countdown, Quick, and CountUp.

Five settings are displayed in the left-hand column of the screen in the following order: Autorepeat, Label, Icon, Alert, and Journal. In the first row, Autorepeat is toggled off. "Reading" is written next to Label in yellow text. There is a yellow icon beside Icon and Alert is set to "Alarm." The options "Change Type" and "Delete" are displayed at the bottom of the screen.
If I decide to use the same timer as I power through a few articles in one sitting, I can set the timer to autorepeat:

Five settings are displayed in the left-hand column of the screen in the following order: Autorepeat, Label, Icon, Alert, and Journal. In the first row, Autorepeat is toggled on. "Reading" is written next to Label in yellow text. There is a yellow icon beside Icon and Alert is set to "Alarm." The options "Change Type" and "Delete" are displayed at the bottom of the screen.
Now, I have a separate timer for each task:

Three timers are displayed on the main screen. The bottom two timers are set at zero minutes. The bottom timer is blue and labeled "Coding" while the middle timer is green and labeled "Writing." The top timer labeled Reading" is yellow and is set for 30 minutes.
MultiTimer also has a Pomodoro setting that helps me remember to take breaks to prevent burnout. This setting automatically creates 25-minute work intervals with 5-minute breaks in between, and once four intervals have passed, it prompts a 15-minute break:

Under "Pomodoro timer" there are five settings, "Alert," "Work," "Break," and "Long Break." "Alert" is set as Alarm, "Work" is set to 25 minutes, "Break" is set to 5 minutes and "Long Break" is set to 4/15 minutes. At the bottom of the screen there is the option to Change Type or Delete.
Even this preset timer can be customized if I decide that I want to change any of its parameters.

Sometimes I need to multitask, and here MultiTimer’s ability to run several timers at once really shines. If I get hungry while reading, which is bound to happen, I might decide to boil some pasta as I finish my article. All I need to do is add and run another timer:

Four timers are displayed. The yellow "reading" timer in the top-left corner is counting down with 28 minutes, 50 seconds remaining. The red "Pasta" timer in the top-right corner is set to 12 minutes and has not been started. The green "Writing" timer in the bottom-left corner and the blue "Coding" timer in the bottom-right corner are both at 0 minutes.
In short, it’s easy to use MultiTimer in a way that suits my priorities.

What I love most about MultiTimer is its versatility. If I’m facing a really large task (hello dissertation!), I break it up and then use the Pomodoro function with a simple count-up or countdown timer. In some cases, I’ll even set a timer to remind myself to start working. For other projects, I combine MultiTimer with planners and calendars or SMART goals to help me take control of my time, get more done, and set realistic goals (beyond just avoiding another kitchen disaster). Happy timing!

This blog showcases the perspectives of UNC Chapel Hill community members learning and writing online. If you want to talk to a Writing and Learning Center coach about implementing strategies described in the blog, make an appointment with a writing coach or an academic coach today. Have an idea for a blog post about how you are learning and writing remotely? Contact us here.